Saturday, September 15, 2012

Paul's marks and the gospel of grace

Just finished reading Galatians tonight and was struck by Paul's closing statement: "From now one let no one cause me trouble, for I bear in my body the marks of the Jesus."  This is in contrast to those who want to boast about their "marks" of circumcision and adherence to the law in order to avoid the persecution that fell on those who professed the true gospel of salvation by faith and grace alone that Paul preached.

Paul had previously asked, "But if I, brothers, still preach circumcision, why am I still being persecuted?  In that case the offense of the cross has been removed."  And then followed by saying, "It is those who want to make a good showing in the flesh who would force you to be circumcised, and only in order that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ."

Paul would rather suffer in his body for the righteousness by faith than endure a false gospel of man centered, works based righteousness.  "But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."


No comments:

Post a Comment